The U.S. Government’s flagship project under the presidential Trade Africa initiative, launched in 2013 to boost trade and investment with and within Africa. The goal of the Hub is to deepen regional integration, increase the competitiveness of select regional agriculture value chains, promote two-way trade with the U.S. under the African Growth and Opportunity Act and facilitate investment and technology that drives trade growth intra-regionally and to global markets.
Syngenta is one of the world’s leading companies with more than 28,000 employees in over 90 countries dedicated to our purpose: Bringing plant potential to life. Through world-class science, global reach and commitment to our customers we help to increase crop productivity, protect the environment and improve health and quality of life.
Toyota Tsusho Corporation Group Company Toyota Kenya Limited opened its human resources training center, Toyota Kenya Academy, on July 16, 2014 at the Toyota Kenya Business Park. TKA offers public courses on automobile & auto tronics technology, entrepreneurship and agri-prenuership.
The Inter Region Economic Network (IREN) is a leading independent African think tank that promotes ideas and strategies geared towards causing prosperity in Africa through free enterprise and sound public policy.
An opportunity for Eastern Africa youth-owned start-ups and SMEs
The Young Innovators in Agribusiness Competition offers an opportunity for Eastern Africa youth-owned start-ups and Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs) to generate creative activities that can attract potential investors and stakeholders through competition.
1. Business should be owned/founded by individuals/groups aged 18 – 35 years.
2. Business should be two years and above in operation (registered name and its legal status, sole proprietor, partnership and company, etc).
3. Business should have a defined model (beyond idea stage).
4. Business should be within the agricultural value chain/food chain
5. The competition is open to nationals who own businesses and start-ups from East African Community Members States and Ethiopia, Madagascar, Seychelles and Mauritius.
6. Submission must be written in English
7. Entry should be submitted as per the template provided
8. Deadline: October 30, 2015
9. The business model should promote aggregation of small holder farmers and demonstrate agribusiness value chain awareness.
10. The business model should be innovative and provide solutions that will reduce post-harvest losses through better crop handling solutions, cold storage models, transportation and logistics.
11. The business model should promote the provision of high quality inputs and support the promotion of intra-regional trade.
12. The business model should show market-driven applications of existing regional agricultural standards.
Access to the submitted Contestants Business Profiles is only granted to the Young Innovators in Agribusiness Competition Committee, trainers and mentors and to the members of
its judging panel.
Successful business profiles will be open for stakeholder and public access. The identities of the top 120 contestants will be made public when they get admission for the Training and Mentorship
Program. The business profiles of the top 90 contestants that proceed to competition stage are considered of public domain and can be used by the Young Innovators in Agribusiness Competition Committee for marketing and PR purposes.
By submitting your application, you shall grant the East Africa Trade and Investment Hub, syngenta and Inter Region Economic Network Young Innovators in Agribusiness Competition Committee all rights of lawful use of your business profiles. The Young Innovators in Agribusiness Competition Committee will publish the top 30 business profiles that will advance to the finals on a website and Agribusiness and Innovators Trade Fair Directory specially set up for the project. The committee ill also use excerpts and/or brief summaries gleaned from the articles, video clips in the social media.
The Judging Panel set up by the Young Innovators in Agribusiness Competition Committee reserves the right to disqualify any entry that in its judgment violates the letter or the spirit of the Competition guidelines, rules and processes. The decisions of the Judging Panel will be final and binding.